Friday, September 9, 2011

New techniques and blagging it.

Yesterday, I took my newly acquired encaustic Iron and waxes that I got off ebay into the studio. Wow what fun, I spent a good few hours experimenting with what it would do. I learnt very quickly that you can't plan it, you just need to do the first steps and then see what you can do with it after. For instance the one below I had thought would be a landscape, but when I saw it it looked more like the sea so I put some corals in and then added the fishes.


I got in a terrible mess, moulten wax can get everywhere. It dripped off the iron on to the floor and onto my jeans.

But I discovered that its not a good idea to experiment with something new when people are coming in. The trouble is they all thought I was experienced and were fascinated and wanted to watch. I remembered what I was taught when I did my teacher training. That you only have to know one stage ahead of the people you are teaching, you don't need to be an expert and you can say you don't know, so I ended up blagging it and giving a couple of short little demonstrations. Oh Dear!!!

Its been a very good week this week, I sold a big painting and lots of bits and pieces, I have sold enough of the cards to cover the printing costs so as soon as my printer is back off his holiday I will get another lot printed.
So any suggestions of paintings of mine you think would work well on cards, would be gratefully received.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh that looks like fun... I really love the effect, especially the first one. And as for being an expert, every little bit you know is (usually) a bit more than the person who's asking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they all look fantastic and very expert to me!! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the fish one, I am glad you are doing well in the studio. I think the fish encaustic would make a really groovy modern card. I find nautical subjects are good sellers, lighthouses, beach huts. I bet your turtles sell well on cards,

    Michele x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colours, this is not something I've tried but it looks fascinating.

    Jan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fish one in particular looks great!

    ReplyDelete