Sunday, April 18, 2010

Revisiting NY


A few years ago, I was lucky enough to visit New York City, I had an amazing time. There were so many amazing sites; Grand Central Station; The Statue of Liberty; The Empire State Building; Brooklyn Bridge; Central park, the list is really endless. I spent most of my time looking up and going WOW!!!! But for me 2 buildings in NY stand out, the 1st is the Flat Iron Building, this building is a fabulous triangular shape and one of the first 'high rise buildings'. Designed by Daniel Burnham it was one of the first buildings to use a steel skeleton. Built on the corner of Broadway and Fifth Ave, its amazing shape makes it one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen.



But my Favourite NY skyscraper has to be the Crysler Building. This Art Deco masterpiece was designed by William Van Alen. I entered through the Lexington Avenue entrance and was amazed that the original murals were clear and worked so beautifully with all the stunning marble.




Unfortunately I visited not that long after 9/11 so restrictions were very high. I fell in love with the lift doors and was told I wasn't allowed to take photos, I must have looked really disappointed as when a few minutes later it went quite, the guard grabbed me and allowed me to photograph them quickly. They are not fantastic pictures, as I took them in a hurry but I still love looking at them.
The top of the Crysler building literally sparkles what more can a girl want
.


If you ever are fortunate to visit NY try and see both these masterpieces, it is well worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, saw your comment to come see your blog on the folksy forums! I've been to NY once before already - I remember seeing the flat iron building, it's absolutely beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit, I have been to NY twice and both times I missed that flat iron building. What a shame - the picture and the look & shape is amazing. Thxs for sharing and regards from Cologne, Germany Stefanie

    ReplyDelete