Sunday, November 14, 2010

Remembrance Sunday PTSD

My Dad survived WW2, but none of his friends did.
He talks very little of his war time experiences and we don't press as he becomes very distressed and angry. We have gleaned odd bits and pieces over the years , he was an Engineer and was in Nowra, Australia for some years with the MONABS, and we also know he was in a glider, on or around D Day that landed behind enemy lines and he had to guard an ammunition store.
Over the years as we have got older, we have come to accept that he has suffers with what we would now call, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I love my Dad with all my heart but he can be a difficult man to live with and deal with.
On Remembrance Day I think and honor all those that gave there lives for us, but today I think of my Dad and all those who have survived but have suffered and still suffer from the after effects of war.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment