Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Something to think about

..........There's always some reason, to feel not good enough 
And it's hard at the end of the day ,
I need some distraction..... oh beautiful release 
Memories seep from my veins 
Let me be empty, weightless and maybe 
I'll find some peace tonight........



These are lyrics to a song 'Angel' by Sarah McLachlan,  I've heard so many different versions of this over the years but it has been particularly poignant to me in the last couple of years as my life has changed, as my Dad has declined due to dementia.  These particular words sum up my escape into painting and how it has become essential in my life.   My husband is my rock, always has been and always will be.  My children an everlasting source of joy, but its my painting that has become my addiction.  Whilst mulling this over I discovered that the song is in fact about the  Smashing Pumpkins touring keyboard player Jonathan Melvoin, who overdosed on heroin and died in 1996, so maybe thats why it resonated with me and describing my painting as an addiction, is perhaps not to far out there......


No comments:

Post a Comment